Saturday, March 3, 2012

The Notorious Benadict Arnold

The Notorious Benedict Arnold: A True Story of Adventure, Heroism & Treachery
Written by: Steve Sheinkin
Published by Flash Point/Roaring Brook Press
Reading Level: Ages 11 and up
What do you think of when you hear the name Benedict Arnold? I know when I hear it I think of traitor, and I am sure many other people think of that as well. But what do we really know about Benedict Arnold? How did he go from being a boy who was born on January 14, 1741 in Connecticut to being known as a traitor to this country? This book is the winner of the YALSA Award for Excellence in Nonfiction for young adults and tells the story of Benedict Arnold’s life from the moment he was born to his death. It is told in the form of a story with actual quotes from Arnold’s lifetime. This story that is told by an author, who admits his obsession with Benedict Arnold, is a very engaging story. Any history buff would enjoy reading the story of treason and revolution. This book is also perfect for history classes who want to teach their students more about how America came to be and about the American Revolution. After reading this story, the reader will learn a lot more about Benedict Arnold and how he was actually a really brave person. Usually when you hear the word traitor, you think of coward. I’m sure that’s what many people think of when they hear Benedict Arnold’s name but they couldn’t be more wrong. I recommend this book to anybody who loves to read about history. The reader will never want to put this book down. I’m not much of a history fanatic but something about this book captured my interest. I found Arnold’s story to be very interesting and intriguing. This story is perfect for schools and educational purposes because it will get the reader more interested in learning about the American revolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment