Thursday, March 8, 2012

Heart and Soul: The Story of America and African Americans

Heart and Soul: The Story of America and African Americans
Written by Kadir Nelson
Published by Balzer + Bray, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
Reading Level: Ages 9 and up

The Coretta Scott King Book Award is given to African American authors and illustrators for outstanding inspirational and educational contributions. The book titles promote understanding and appreciation of the culture of all peoples and their contribution to the realization of the American dream of a pluralistic society.


Heart and Soul is the award winner for the Coretta Scott King award for authors.  This book is a wonderful story for upper elementary grade children who want to learn more about American and African Americans, and how they were able to have hope and unwavering courage. That is also a very educational story and can be used in classrooms. In this story you will learn all about African Americans and their ole in American and how they came from not being mentioned or noticed, to being slaves and then to being free. I really enjoyed the way the author told the story and addressed the reader. It will make you feel like you are hearing the story from your grandmother or story-telling aunt. I felt that the best part of this whole book were the wonderful illustrations. I felt that the illustrations helped bring you into the story. This book is also a perfect read for an adult who is a history buff. This book will teach you much about African Americans. When I start teaching, and when I work in the library I would use this book during black history month. It would be perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment