Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Elephant Scientist

The Elephant Scientist
Written by: Caitlin O’Connell and Donna M. Jackson
Photographs by: Caitlin O’Connell and Timothy Rodwelland
Published by: Houghton Mifflin Books for Children, an imprint of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company
Reading Level: Ages 9 and up

The Elephant Scientist is a Robert F. Sibert Informational Book honor award.  The Elephant Scientist is a really interesting book about Caitlin O'Connell who studies Elephants.  The beginning of the book shows Caitlin as a child studying frogs and eventually studying Elephants.  Caitlin's dreams came true and she was able to go to Africa to study her passion.  She loves elephants so much that the villagers would call her the mother of all elephants.  Throughout the book Caitlin and her team watch the elephants and study them.  She watches out for their behaviors such as how they respond to each others alarms, and how the girl elephants stick together while the boy elephants or bulls stick together.  If you like elephants, then you will love this book.  This book will teach you so much about these huge mammals.  Within this book you will see many pictures of elephants including close ups of things such as their foot prints to photographs of elephants playing together.  You will also of course see pictures of Caitlin doing her work.  The elephants are one of my favorite zoo animals, so I just knew that I would really enjoy reading this book.  I found this book to be really interesting and now I know more about elephants than I ever thought I would.  Also by the end of this book, Caitlin makes an important discovery about elephants.  If you would like to know what it is then go get this book and read it!  It is a book you are guaranteed to love.


No comments:

Post a Comment